NJCC launched REBUILD New Jersey to provide rapid low-interest loans to New Jersey small businesses recovering from Hurricane Sandy.
In the immediate aftermath of Superstorm Sandy, NJCC created and capitalized the REBUILD New Jersey disaster recovery fund to provide low-cost loans to Sandy-impacted small businesses across New Jersey, many of whom did not have access to traditional lending products. REBUILD loans help impacted businesses quickly address such needs as building repairs, equipment and inventory replacement, rent or mortgage payments, salary expenses, and utility costs. Loans range from $10,000 to $65,000, extend up to 36 months with an option for an additional 3 months interest-free, and maintain a fixed interest rate of 3%. There are no fees associated with REBUILD, and loans are typically closed within two-weeks of NJCC’s receipt of a full application.
NJCC has expanded its REBUILD loan products over time to continually fulfill the short-term and long-term needs of rebuilding small businesses. For example, in April 2013, NJCC reduced REBUILD’s minimum qualifying FICO score from 625 to 600, expanded its maximum loan size from $30,000 to $65,000, and extended its maximum loan term from 24 to 39 months, making the loan more accessible and useful to small businesses with ongoing recovery needs. NJCC also expanded the REBUILD program beyond small businesses to also support the development of emergency housing, education facilities, and other community facilities.
- Loans between $10,000 and $65,000
- Affordable fixed interest rate at 3%
- Loan term up to three years, with an option for an additional three months interest free
- Collateral: UCC-1 filing on equipment purchases in excess of $10,000; personal guarantees from business owners
- Absolutely no fees!
- Businesses physically and economically impacted by Hurricane Sandy
- Located in New Jersey
- In operation for at least two years
- Minimum credit score of 600, larger loans may require a higher credit score
- Other underwriting criteria may apply
How to Apply
Download and complete the loan application documents:
Completed applications should be submitted, along with all required supporting documents, via mail, e-mail, or fax, to:
New Jersey Community Capital
Attention: REBUILD New Jersey
Daniel Arndt, Lending Officer
108 Church Street, 3rd Floor, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
E-mail: darndt<at>njclf.com Fax: 732.543.1201
Phone: 732.640.2061 x405
REBUILD was made possible by generous contributions from several key investors:
- Goldman Sachs provided an $800,000 seed donation.
- Jersey City Economic Development Corporation invested $500,000 in Urban Enterprise Zone funds to support the effort
- The Asbury Park UEZ provided $100,000 for a loan loss reserve pool.
- To support the statewide expansion of the fund, JPMorgan Chase contributed $250,000 in grant funds.
- TD Bank made a $1 million investment.
- The New Jersey Economic Development Authority invested $500,000.
- NJCC also has received $50,000 in loan loss reserve funds from the Robin Hood Foundation.
- Wells Fargo supported REBUILD with a $250,000 grant.
- Citi has contributed $80,000 to enhance NJCC’s small business lending.